Free LibriVox Audio Books
LibriVox provides a wonderful and free archive of period publications, some of them written during the American expansion across the Buffalo Grass Plains, first by fur trappers and traders, then by gold seekers and Oregon Territory-bound immigrants, then by the railroads: the Union Pacific, the Kansas Pacifice, and then the Northern Pacific, opening up the lands of the Lakota and Cheyenne, Arapahoe, Blackfeet, and other native tribes whose ancestors had roamed the ocean of grass for thousands of years.
To understand the scope of the struggle, take advantage of this priceless resource.
- The Extermination of the American Bison by William T. Hornaday
- The Last of the Plainsmen by Zane Grey
- Tales Of The Trail; Short Stories Of Western Life by Henry Inman
- The Scalp Hunters by Thomas Mayne Reid
- Narrative of My Captivity Among the Sioux Indians
- Seven and Nine Years Among the Comanches and Apaches-
- Days on the Road: Crossing the Plains in 1865 by Sarah Raymond Herndon
- The Prairie by James Fenimore Cooper
- My Life on the Plains by Gen. George Armstrong Custer
- The Life of Honorable William F Cody, Known as Buffalo Bill The Famous Hunter, Scout and Guide by Wm F. Cody
- The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman, Jr.
- By Ox Team to California - A Narrative of Crossing the Plains in 1860 by Lavinia Honeyman Porter
- The Story of the Pony Express by Glenn D Bradley
- Ox-Team Days on the Oregon Trail by Ezra Meeker
- The Outlet - The Story of a Texas Cattle Drive to Montana by Andy Adams
- The Heart of Everything That Is by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin
- What the White Race May Learn from the Indian by George Wharton James
- Indian Heroes and Great Chieftans by Charles Alexander Eastman
- The War Chief of the Six Nations: A Chronicle of Joseph Brant by Louis Aubrey Wood
- The Journal of Lewis and Clarke 1840 by Meriwether LEWIS
- The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph M. Marshall III
- Boots and Saddles by Elizabeth Bacon Custer
- Black Elk Speaks
- Geronimo's Story of His Life by Geronimo - Autobiography Native American History
- Roughing It by Mark Twain
- Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown
- Thunder in the Mountains: Chief Joseph, Oliver Otis Howard, and the Nez Perce War
- The Life of a Fossil Hunter by Charles H. Sternberg
- The Life and Adventures of Kit Carson by DeWitt C. Peters"